Thursday 31 May 2012

.Hey ... Where's My Fancy Bed?

I was packed and ready to go last night (yeah, I'm kinda like that ... even worse when I travel) with just the essentials left out for the morning.  Not so bad that I slept in today's clothes, but it crossed my mind :)  That's what hospital gowns are for.

All of the hospital signs and documentation say that discharge is before 9am (emphasis on the "before"), so like  a good patient,  we were ready to go around 8am.   Having experienced hospital life for so long I thought we'd be lucky to be out of there by 10:30am .. go figure, apparently discharging people is a priority!  9:30 we were in the car. (The feisty old porter lady volunteer is a whole other post).  Bye, bye, and as promised, I didn't let the door hit me on the way out.  :)  I will have to go back when I have my follow up with the surgeon and say a proper thank you to some specific nurses and other staff.

Front steps?  Piece of cake ... totally different from two weeks ago.  I no longer feel trapped in the house.  Moving around the house?  Canes make my narrow-doorway house so much more accessible.  I can now go everywhere with relative freedom, in my wonky walking kind of way.

I even tried making my own lunch.  My S.O. was very patient and stayed out of my way until he asked, with that "offering to help look" that couples have ... you know that look he gives you when he's offering help without actually saying "do you want help with that?"  Lunch wiped me out.  Nap time. Not the sleep for three hours, what day is it when you wake up, nap, ... just a regular, normal person nap. Lunch was the extent of my culinary adventure and dinner was solely on the shoulders of my S.O.  Had I been on my own, I would have been cooking by telephone.

Did I mention in any previous post that hospital food was, um, bland, blah, overcooked, over processed, and totally textureless?  The two meals at home today have been gloriously full of texture, flavour and they actually required chewing!

I am happy to be home, even if I don't have a Craftmatic bed. Hanging around the house is going to get very boring pretty quickly, but tomorrow I make my first venture into the world when we go shopping for my geriatric rolly walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment