Thursday 24 May 2012

Extreme and the Shrink

"From what I've seen of you here, you're pretty extreme ... it's either yes or noon or off ... there isn't much in between".

Wait for it .... there it is .... the knowing laughter from the people who know me. I've preferred to describe that trait as "I'm either doing stuff like crazy or I'm flopped on the couch." Or as "I run because I'm lazy".

The occupational therapist made that character assessment when she was talking to me about my weekend at home (again ... we're still talking about that weekend at home?). We were "discussing" my proclamation that I wasn't going back home until either the house is accessible to me, or I am accessible to the house.  In other words, modifications have been made to the house to accommodate my current disabilities, or my disabilities have been overcome to the point where I can function mostly normally in the house.

She was trying to convince me that going home in a week would be just fine, and maybe I just needed an adaptation period and I would get over the feelings of loss and everything would be okay.

Um, NO. Clearly you don't know me.  I rearticulated that I had been despondent, had lacked the will to do any self physio, and that sending me back there would just replicate that.  I'm not often successful with the "get over it" tactic.  Leopards, spots ... you've heard the analogy.

That's when she suggested that maybe talking to a shrink would help ... you know, add mental therapy to the physical therapy.

Wait for it .... there it is ... the laughter from the people who know me.  They've been suggesting it for years :)

No comments:

Post a Comment