Friday 11 May 2012

Being Cripped is a Hazard to your Health

I must be early in the adaption phase - I am starting to get used to having no feeling in my legs and feet, but not far enough along to remember to WATCH OUT FOR DANGER because I can't feel. I am my own worst enemy today.

Bruises
Today I managed to bruise the crap out of my right foot.  When I was getting back into bed, I had no idea that my toes were caught under the wheels of the tray table, because I couldn't feel the touch on my foot.  I started to swing my leg up, it resisted (of course, it was under the darned table), so I used my arms to help.  As I gave a great heave, my foot was forced out from under the tray table hard enough for the table to move. Holy Crap Batman. That hurts!. I guess I still have pain sensation when it is strong enough :)  

Bashes
Can I bash my spazzy shin into any more objects without knowing it? No sensory function + uncontrolled fling = bashing it on everything. But the strangest sensation is when my good leg bangs my bad leg.  The good leg feels like it hit something hard, and the bad leg feels nothing, so my brain thinks the good leg is bashing up against something inanimate. 

Bash ... what the heck? ... OMG it's my other leg!  Freaky. 

And then there's the missing top third of my big toenail, care of wild foot meets bed frame at 100 miles an hour.  Exactly what they warned me about ... don't cut your feet!

Catching
I have to focus on keeping my spazzy foot on the footrest of the wheelchair.  You'd think that would be easy except my mind still believes I'm able bodied, and if something goes wrong, I'll know. Yeah, well, that would be logical if I had sensory function. Today I had put my feet on the floor to support myself while I bent over to pick something up, and when I was ready to get moving again, I didn't bother with the foot rests.  A small push and off I go.  Then resistance. Then "why the heck am I not moving".   Oh, because my right foot is stuck to the floor and dragging underneath the wheelchair ... and I don't know it.  Crap.

When that happened, my first thought was, okay, I just need to work out a "get established in the wheelchair" routine, then I'll be okay.   OMG I'm in the hospital and I'm thinking about process. 

I think there's a saying about leopards and spots. But after today, I'll never leave the bed without shoes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment