Sunday 6 May 2012

People - they're the same everywhere.

I don't see doctors around here very often - mine stops by on his way to the office for a quick check-in, but mostly it's the nursing staff, nurses aids, orderlys and other people who actually do the work. Clarification - the day-to-day slog of healing the sick and the traumatized, not the swoop in surgeon or emergency doctor who saves the immediate day, then in effect, walks away.  This hospital is like every other work place, which again, is just a microcosm of our world. There are the people just putting in time, the people who have a passion - for something else, the people who are doing it for the paycheque, and the people who are stuck in their jobs. Then there are the rare few who do it because they love it. You don't find many of those, and when you do ... they can really change your experience.

My night nurse ... responsible for three rooms (currently four patients) ... is absolutely fantastic. Four patients doesn't seem like a lot until you realize she's dealing with three brain tumours and my spinal cord tumour. High risk patients. She's smart, authoritative but compassionate, experienced, and is good at finding that line between pushy and when you're just too tired. She has helped make my experience here ... not necessarily fun ... but I look forward to when she's on shift.

Then there is one of the nurses aides. Oy. We all work with someone like this. You know, like Dug from the movie Up.  (SQUIRREL ! scene) ( at about 30 seconds on the clip).  Paying attention one second, then totally distracted,  then remembers you half an hour later. Um ... hello !! I'm here! We were in the middle of something and I can't exactly come get you! Sigh.

The lead physio lady (I thought she was Scottish ... turns out she's Irish).  The staff speak of her lovingly and respectfully - they say she's been here since the beginning of time and is fabulous at what she does.  So far I've only seen her tough side.  The "okay honey, this ain't no picnic and no one is going to slack on my watch, so here's how it's done.  And it's done MY way".   I'm learning to roll with things (see other posts on my supposed controlling nature), and allow that she is the expert at getting people moving, and if this is what it takes today, then this is what it takes today.  I'll have to trust the staff and what they've seen of her work.  If I walk because she makes me move, then gratitude won't begin to describe how I feel about her tough love approach.

There's the cheerful food delivery person.  I never comment to her on the food ... mostly because my daughter volunteers at a rehab hospital and she's done her share of meal delivery.  I know she's just the messenger.  But she's a cheerful and polite messenger.  She remembers to put the food down, then move the tray to where I can reach it (basic, you would think, but again... SQUIRREL people deliver food too).  Even though I'm sure many people complain to her about the food, she  always arrives with a polite "are you interested in lunch ma'am", a smile and an "I'll be back to collect the tray".

I couldn't do any of these jobs (again, shocking news to those who know me :), so I have a lot of respect for those who do it, and have sincere gratitude for those who do it with passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment