Friday 18 May 2012

Weebles Wobble but They Don't Fall Down

I can stand. By myself. No hands.

There has been some teeny, itsy-bitsy neurological progress and I can now sense the floor under the ball of my right foot. That wee bit of sensation gives me enough sensory feedback that I have the ability to stand and to be aware that I'm standing on two things, not just one. It's a strange, floaty feeling - indescribable as there is nothing I can compare it to.  I stand, and my brain registers that all is normal with my left leg and a strange presence on the right side of my body.  Not sure what it is, exactly, but there's something there trying to help.

Just don't ask me to do anything while I'm standing, or to stand for very long. 

Exercise guy ignored that request and today was all about posture.  By myself. No hands. Stand on two feet, hips forward, back straight, looking straight ahead.  And hold.  And hold. And hold.  And whoa !!! sway and grab.  The result is quite hilarious - next time I have to find someone to catch it on video. Back to correct posture, lean this way, shift weight that way, move foot into alignment, back straight, hold, hold, hold, hold.  5 minutes of standing and I was toast.

Then exercise guy makes me move from sitting to standing without help.  Okay body, move!  I sway, I waver, I claw his shoulder, he digs his fingers into my thigh to keep me upright.  But I'm standing again. And swaying ... I need to join a gospel choir - I'd be awesome!   We do it again ... and again.  An intense exercise in body focus.

I'm pretty sure during this standing process I look like a marionette being played by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Thankfully he tires of making me stand up and I get on the stationary bike for the first time.  Ahhh ... my body understands this action, and I feel strong and comfortable on the bike.  He asks me to do seven minutes, and for the first time I think "piece of cake".  And it was a piece of cake - if you excuse my cycling form.  My legs have intense muscle memory for cycling and I fell naturally into the rhythm. While I tried to focus on technique, my right knee was determined to do it's own thing most of the time. It wiggled this way, it wobbled that way, but the leg contributed to the cycling motion and I felt strong.

A good session, another good day, and another baby step.

No comments:

Post a Comment