Wednesday 9 May 2012

Watch out World, I've Got Wheels !!

Wahoo !!
Free wheelin', freedom lovin', fun times wheels!

A very exciting day today. 

Wheels
Most importantly, I got wheels, and the go ahead to use them. I also got a two wheeled walker, but it has a big red sticker on it - a cue to the staff that I'm not to be out on that thing alone. Learners permit only. Do not drive without a fully licenced driver present. I was able to take the wheelchair for a scoot around the floor. Sticking close to home for the first day, but the freedom to move at will was spectacular. Realistically it would only have been yesterday or today that I was physically up to self propulsion, so these guys seem to know what they're doing, (imagine the people doing this for a living knowing what they're doing), but I still wish I could have had it sooner.

In the past week I was able to ask for help at any time, and the staff were always happy to do so, but I am unable to describe the fantastic-ness of being able to go wherever, whenever, on my own. Especially the bathroom. We have dignity restored!

Staples
Neurosurgeon stopped by on his morning walkthrough to say hello and is "pleased with the wound", and left instructions that half the staples be removed.  My understanding is that with incisions the size of mine, he wants to remove every other staple at 7 days to see how the skin reacts, then the other half later in the week.  Ok.

But holy bananas .. don't ever let a new nurse try to take staples out of you.  The ones down my back were O-kay .. with a real hesitation on the "Ooooooh" . Then there were the staples on my thigh.  I've seen some pain in my time but I had to stop her after removing three ... I couldn't possibly make it through the next five without a local.  I don't know what the heck she was trying to do, but OMG it didn't even hurt that much to stand up the first day after surgery.  I'll let the surgeon decide in the morning whether someone new tries it, or whether he leaves them in for later.

Update:  Neurosurgeon decided that the rest should come out today.  Needless to say, terrified.  Well, I have to give credit where credit is due, and as much as I don't like the admitting nurse, she was on this morning and took out the rest of the staples. Honestly ... I barely felt it.  A wee pinch but not a hint of pain .. none of the screaming, sheet grabbing, agonizing pain of yesterday.












Physio Assessment
The physio assessment had to be delayed for half an hour because of the staples fiasco ... I was ready to pass out and needed time for the pain killers to kick in before I would be able to do any kind of exertion.

Occupational lady -  (I wasn't expecting her) she watched the physio assessment and watched things like my transfer from bed to wheel chair, from bed to walker, putting on my socks and shoes, tying up my shoes .., general observation and questions about my house.  Happy enough to have her along - I will never turn down qualified help in my recovery.

Physio guy - total testing of toes, ankles, knees and hips - don't look and tell me which way am I bending - up, down, neutral. Total testing of pain (yes, the old fashioned safety pin), temperature, touch and tickle for both legs and comparing both legs. Wow ... 45 minutes and my legs were shaking, they were so tired. Then, oh joy, the two wheeled walker.  We're going walking?  What went through my mind was "you've got to be freakin' kidding me". What came out of my mouth was "okay ... let's go".  Sounds like this surgery destroyed the neural connection between my brain and my mouth!

They are plotting and scheming tonight and I will have two to three sessions a day, seven days a week,. starting tomorrow. One in the gym, one doing exercises, and one doing "life stuff".

For tonight I enjoy my feet being up and my evening to myself. And the knowledge that I will be their best darned physio patient ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment