Wednesday 16 May 2012

You Need to Buy A Wheelchair

"Next week we need to get going on the paperwork for your wheelchair"

I like to think I didn't have a dumbass look on my face, but I'm pretty sure I did. Let me pause a moment while my brain processes that statement.  "your wheelchair".  Sounds like we're not talking about a temporary loaner, but a full-fledged "Sarah needs to buy a wheelchair" wheelchair.  Many thoughts run through my head:

"I thought you were confident I would walk again"
"I'm not going back to work until I can go without a wheelchair"
"What about a walker?"
"I can't be in a wheelchair, this is all about Sarah walking again"

None of the thoughts are confident, happy, cheerful thoughts.  They are panic thoughts.

Zen ... go Zen ... do not leap to conclusions.  Breathe deeply. In. Out. In. Out. Okay ... let's talk about this.

He tells me that there are subsidies available for those who are disabled and are in need of a wheelchair or walker.  The government will cover 75% of the cost of all qualifying mobility aids if you a) need it every day b) have to use it either inside or outside the home and c) need it for a minimum of six months. With wheelchairs costing upwards of $4,000 - $5,000, that subsidy is valuable.

Physio guy's logic for buying a wheelchair now:
  1. I will definately use it every day for the next several months as my walking progresses
  2. Even if I can walk with a walker, there are benefits to having a wheelchair for longer excursions (and airports!)
  3. I will likely be sent back to work before I can handle the commute on my feet - the wheelchair would be required for commuting
  4. It's better for my body to own a wheelchair that has been custom fitted for me than to rent something crappy, even if I don't use it often down the road
  5. If I apply now, the team will definately sign off on the six month every day use minimum ... if I wait for three or four months, they may not be able to say that I need it for every day use.
  6. Odds are good that my right leg will always be my weakest link and the wheelchair is good to have
 Okay ... so you're not telling me to buy a wheelchair because I'm going to need it for the rest of my life, you're just offering me a piece of practical advice so that I have a back up plan.

I think I can get my head around that.

It will be the beemer of wheelchairs.  With cupholders.

No comments:

Post a Comment