Saturday 12 May 2012

"Use the Force, Luke"

  "Use the force, Luke"  is the only way I can begin describe what I am being asked to do by Exercise guy.

Luke  "I don't believe it!"
Yoda "That ... is why you fail".

Believe
Exercise guy has has asked me to believe.  Believe I can:
  • stand on a leg that I cannot feel
  • take a step, weight bearing on a leg my brain does not know exists
  • stand on tippie toes I cannot feel
  • listen to muscles that have no voice
  • bend my knees and squat when I can't tell if my knee is bent or straight

When he asks for these things, my able bodied mind says "of course".  But then my brain starts to panic.  I'm not holding onto anything, I can't feel the floor, I don't know if my right knee is bent or straight, I don't know if I'm holding my weight on one leg or two, I don't know how to take a step unless I can feel the step. 

My goal here is to believe.  To learn that sometimes your brain isn't right.  Subdue the panic and let the force take over.  Take that leap into the darkness. Forget that you can't feel what you're doing, blank your mind and just do what your muscles remember doing from when they could feel.  Forget that you don't know if you are standing up straight, tilting forward or back, steady or wobbly. Blank your mind and trust your body to remember.  You can't learn to walk until you walk.

Believe you can, and just do it. 

"Do. Or do not. There is no try" (Yoda)

No comments:

Post a Comment