Friday 25 May 2012

Oxy Withdrawal

I know they don't want me to be a prescription druggie, but this place is big on stopping things before I'm ready.

In my conversation with my neurosurgeon this morning I'm told I need to come off the Oxy. Yipes!  40 mg a day isn't that much. But, I agree that I don't want to be on it, so I need a wean-me-off plan  because I already get withdrawal symptoms between doses. Solution  ... Tylenol 3s during the day, 10mg Oxy at night.  I'm not sure what I was thinking, exactly, but apparently he was thinking "as of now".

2pm rolls around, which, in this world of being 90 years old,  is pill time, and my little pill cup arrives with only one little, lonely pill in it. 

Me - "Hey ... what happened to my extra strength Tylenol?  What happened to my Oxy?" 
Nurse - "Well, the doctor changed your prescription."
Me - "Okay, we talked about that, but what does that mean, exactly?" 
Nurse - "It means T3s every six hours."
Me - "Already?"

Apparently.

I take a moment to ponder. Okay ... T3s are strong, I can handle that, and the small dose of Oxy at night is good. But, and here's the but, the Oxys were slow release, the new T3s are a quick hit then it wears off. I decide that even though my final daytime dose of Oxy has worn off, I'm just about to head to physio, so maybe I'll take the new T3s after physio guy has beaten me up and made my legs fall off.

This is when you discover that the pain pills you thought were doing nothing, are actually doing a lot.  By the end of physio it was two hours past my "used to take an Oxy" time and I'm running on no pain killers.  I had one nasty ache in my back.  Not pain, per say, but an ache of significant proportion. It's the first time I've really felt the surgery site.  Action required, I gotta get me some of them newfangled fancy Tylenols.

They seem to work. Now, if I could just get rid of the withdrawal headache.

1 comment:

  1. I was on self-administered morphine for three weeks and then oxycontin/oxycodone for 2.5 months. At that point I decided to wean myself off them - didn't want to get addicted. My doctor said I was the only patient he had ever had who voluntarily went off their narcotic pain meds. (!)

    ReplyDelete