Monday 21 May 2012

The Lunatic is Back in the Asylum

Being home was a huge step in the wrong direction.

I got the hell out of dodge as soon as I could this morning ... escaped the confines of home and got back to the rehab unit where I have mobility and freedom. A world bigger than my living room and bedroom. A bigger world may not necessarily equal more freedom, but it certainly feels that way. 

I had hoped that being back in the hospital would snap me out of my despondency, but that didn't happen. The nurse started to ask me about my weekend at home, and that pretty much opened the floodgates. I have since calmed, and as each hour passes, my happy factor increases bit by bit.  Only time will tell whether the hit to my motivation and positive attitude is short lived or continues on.

It was a gorgeous day outside and I'm somewhat resentful that in my old life I would have been parked in the backyard with a beer, enjoying the sun and warmth.  On the other hand, I would have been looking at my backyard thinking about how much work it needs and how I don't have the money to hire someone to do it.  Maybe next year.  Instead I settled for a coffee in the courtyard.  It must have been a big visitor day because all the benches were full, but one advantage to a wheelchair?  I can sit anywhere :)   So I found myself  a shady spot until I couldn't stand the heat any more and came in.

I had a couple of nurses come and park themselves in my room to chat.  Not sure if they were on a cheer me up mission or if they were just bored, but you can tell they have a lot of experience talking to sad people. It helped my mood a little bit.

I didn't miss the hospital food while I was home. The barbeque was a wonderful invention, and in combination with summer weather, usually means steak or ribs.  Not back in rehab.  Plastic macaroni and cheese for lunch and mystery meat with shredded carrots and fake mashed potatos with something resembling gravy for dinner.  Ugh.

The usual vitals check (um ... you didn't do that to me for two days while I was home ... is it really necessary?) and the comfortable routine of the hospital.  Tomorrow, it's back to the work of rehab.  Thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment