Friday 1 June 2012

Canes, Trains and Automobiles

I couldn't find a way to work "trains" into this post, but the title just doesn't have the same effect without it.

To quote my eloquent teenaged daughter ... "who ever thought we'd be shopping together for canes !" That was her response to receiving several texts with pictures of canes I was considering.  I came home from the hospital with a couple of sexy, $15, drug store model canes.  Wahoo !  Not.  I'm too young to be walking around with institution canes ... I need canes disguised as fashion accessories.  If I have to be the gimpy gal and can't wear my designer heels, and if I have to use canes when I go back to my suit job, I want something with a little more personality. Call them vanity plates :)

There is a whole world of canes out there, just not in stores.  I wasn't motivated to do an extended search for a custom canes or specialty canes store in my city - I knew that would just result in having to traipse half way around the world to get there on the chance that they had something I liked.  But there is an on-line world who will deliver to your door in a couple of days.  I loooove you, internet.  I found a pair I like, in-stock, within the cost that my insurance company will cover, and most awesomely, their standard size is the exact size I need! 

My inbox shows that my order has shipped ... yay!

This morning we went to buy a rollator - what a lousy word, surely some marketing guru could have done better than that.  The best thing I did for myself was research it on-line first.  I read all the "what to look for in a rollator" sites I could find, as well as investigating manufacturers and the various makes and models.  Sounds like impressive google work, but really, it's not like I had anything better to do except daytime tv.  Turned out to be my best-spent google time recently - I walked in already knowing what make and model I wanted.  I would NOT have had the energy to deal with a sales person, a sales pitch, learning the ins and outs of rollators in the store and having to make a rational decision.  Nor would I have had the energy to go back ... this was a once-and-done shopping trip.

I'm the proud owner of this hot rod !  I'm going to call it my Lexus NeXus :)  Where the heck are those cup holders ! As much as I hate to say it, this really not-fashion-forward-for-the-forty-set pair of wheels has made my day so much easier. While I can handle canes, they are tiring (have I said that before?) This sexy thing gives me enough relief to do just a little bit more, and hey ...  you can't beat bringing your own seat!  I'm so (emphasize soooooo) not a basket person but it's easily removed should my vanity be showing when I venture outdoors.

If you had told me a year ago that I would be excited about canes and rolly walkers - for myself - I wouldn't have even bothered to tell you you were out of your mind. My look would have said it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment