Saturday 16 June 2012

Recovery at Six Weeks

If you've been diagnosed with this lovely tumour, or something in the same family that involves messing around in your spinal cord, these are my answers to some questions I had before surgery. (If you are reading this to keep updated on how Sarah is doing, then there is some repeat info.)

My tumour was bigger than most by the time it was diagnosed, so my laminectomy was more extreme than others will encounter. If only one or two of your vertebrae and a smaller length of spinal cord is affected, then your recovery will not likely be as intense.  My neurosurgeon had to cut apart six vertebrae, graft a ligament from my thigh and leave me with 12" and 5" scars (but with modern technology, scars are nothing like they were even 10 years ago).

  • The sexy hospital gown - I wore it for a month (honestly, they are the best jammies ever!)
  • Morphine - man's best friend. I had no side effects and it managed my pain beautifully
  • Laminectomy - full. Spinous process for six vertebrae are gone, replaced with a ligament from my thigh
  • Scrubs - they make the nurses a little nervous, but fantastic to wear
  • ass lying in bed for two days - for me it was seven days
  • 3-7 day steriod taper - yep. They blast the crap out of you with steriods then wean you off them
  • foley catheter - yep. 24 hours for me, then a week of them trying to get me to use a toilet. Joy.
  • compression pumps on your legs - yep. six days for me
  • deep breathing - not so much, they weren't very concerned about my lungs. Same with the incision, they were generally pleased with how it was healing, but did keep a close eye on it (them).
  • physiotherapy - I really, really underestimated the intensity of how much physio I would need and get, but I also was only thinking about coming out of the hospital in best case scenario
  • The Today I Take Nothing for Granted post makes me cry when I read it. You cannot fully appreciate what you have. Ever.
  • You need to buy a wheelchair - nope. Not for me. It looks like the rollator is as fancy as I'll get. And then I'll hand-me-up it to my parents when my nerves have finally healed :)

At Six Weeks - Deficiencies
  • Still no temperature or sharp pain sensations in my left leg.
  • Still no vibration, soft touch or proprioception in my right leg
  • Both feet are numb most of the time which makes walking on hard surfaces feel painful
  • Both legs are numb up the back of my thighs and butt which makes sitting on hard surfaces feel painful

At Six Weeks - What I can Do
  • Ambulate with caution and assistance
  • Stand on my own (briefly - 2 minutes, max), but no twisting, turning or losing focus.
  • I can function in my house and do household "stuff" ... with lots of rest
  • Beginning to explore the outside world with extreme caution and in small doses. Yesterday I "went for a walk" outside.  From the stop sign to the west to the stop sign on the east and home.  Maybe 400 metres.

1 comment:

  1. I went back and read the 'Today ...' post and it made me cry, too. It's good we can't look into the future. We think we have everything in order and then .... reality can be very different from what we were even capable of conceiving. I had no chance to pause and reflect before it happened. In a moment - one that I have tried so many times to take back - everything changed. Coming to a full understanding of the new reality does not come all at once.
    You sound reflective today but you are focussed on what needs to be done and appreciating the accomplishments that come along. I'm so glad you have time away from work to do your physio and healing. This is an important time. I'm also excited to hear you are standing on your own. That's crazy!
    Have a great week and keep up the good work with your physio. And make sure you keep apprecitaing everything you have now. Life is good.
    Been wishing I could come out for a visit....

    ReplyDelete