Friday 15 June 2012

People Love Other People's Drama

This post started out as a retrospective on previous postings, questions I had had and answers that only experience could provide. In order to do that I had to find the questions I'd asked - I had a pretty good idea of where to look, but it still took some searching.  The way I chose to search also provided me with the stats on the blog, including the number of hits on each post.

I discovered something interesting.  Headlines are important to the reader (I know - anyone out there in journalism or media is shaking their head saying "no shit Sherlock, we've known that forever"). Headlines that hint at personal angst or trauma are the favoured kind.  The top three posts on this blog? Now I Need the Shrink, Extreme and the Shrink and I Didn't Get Myself Killed. Ah, the human instinct on how to predetermine what will likely be "interesting".

How to fill these posts with angst and drama to make it interesting to the reader?  Some days there isn't a way.  Some days are filled with monotonous boredom beyond description where my brain stagnates and I wonder if I'll ever have another intellectual thought again. Some days are filled with frustration as I look around at the small things that aren't getting done because I haven't had the energy to do it - small houses only survive on organization because there just isn't space to put everything "just anywhere". Most days are filled with the same routine over and over and over.

But that's going to change.  Yesterday I took charge of my life again.  Okay, everybody out !! It's been six weeks since the surgery. I think four weeks in the hospital and two weeks of babysitting are enough. I like having company, but I need lots of time alone. Alone is relaxing, peaceful, stress-free. Sure I get bored, but I don't get lonely. No I can't do 100% of everything yet. If I fall, I fall, I'll get over it. If I'm hungry, I'll figure it out.  If I need help with something specific, I'll ask.

I release myself of angst, and pass it to anyone who chooses to be burdened with it on my behalf.

Now, if only I trusted myself to drive ....






No comments:

Post a Comment