Thursday 28 June 2012

Recovery at Eight Weeks

Recovery at eight weeks looks identical to recovery at six weeks- my deficiencies are all still the same, and my abilities are all still the same, just a little more refined. 

I had my eight week check-up with the neurosurgeon yesterday and he was neither impressed nor discouraged with the state of the nation ... he seemed pretty neutral about the whole thing.  Scars have healed well, muscular strength in my legs is pretty good, and my knee and ankle reflexes are behaving appropriately.  It was a lot of driving back and forth for a 15 minute appointment, but at least he was on time :)   His prognosis - continue doing what I'm doing, get as much physio as I can, keep at it for as long as I can, we'll do another MRI in a few months, and he'll see me again in three months.

My question for him ... when will I stop being exhausted all the time?  Surely I should have some energy by now.  Apparently I should have energy by now, but it can take up to three months for the body to recover from surgery as serious as mine.  Great.  I'd love to be able to go out for more than an hour.

I suppose a positive thing is that my brain is starting to consider the numbness and lack of sensation in my legs as "white noise".  I guess my instinctive, hard wired warning system is finally calming and my brain is recognizing that those symptoms don't mean I'm in danger.  Nothing to be warned about.  Just the usual numbness.  The benefit? I can finally sleep at night. No more waking up because my brain doesn't know where my leg is.  No more waking up because it's freaked out about the feeling of the sheets against my feet. No more tumour back pain.

For the first time in two years, I'm sleeping through the night.



2 comments:

  1. That's exactly where I am at this moment. 8 weeks since aurgery and it feels like I'm at the same spot I was acouple of weeks ago.

    I hope things chane for good.

    Thank you for sharing all those thoughts. They would make a good book.

    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will get better. People told me that but because they hadn't "been there, done that" I couldn't believe them.

    I can tell you, whether it is through actual healing, or though stubborn hard work, things will get better.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete