Tuesday 12 June 2012

Steve and the Amputee

I met my new physio guy today.   We're going to get along just fine, he and I.

Today was my first out-patient appointment and it was all about the assessment.  I knew he would only have the referral information from the hospital, and a general overview of what is "wrong with me" so I was expecting the full, new patient assessment.  Aside from a few basic questions and strength tests, most of it was focused on "functional balance". The weeble may wobble but does it fall down?   Yay!!! I rock.  I scored 55 out of 56.   But my good leg took a beating to make that happen.

He started off with the hardest task possible - for me.  Stand, unassisted, for two minutes.   By the end of two minutes, every muscle in both legs was twitch, twitch, twitching.  It got easier from there.  He tested 14 things.  Stand without assistance.  Sit without assistance. Stand for 2 minutes.  Stand for 1 minute with your eyes closed.  Reach as far as you can, twist and look over your left shoulder, twist and look over your right shoulder. Step up and down on the stool, turn in a circle, now the other way.  Stand with feet together, stand with one foot in front of the other.  Stand on one foot, transfer from bench to chair with no aides.  Wow...  exhausted.  Oh, and my 'walk test" ... how far can I walk in two mintues?  274 feet.   Not even 100 metres.   Let's check that again in July ...


New physio guy (I'll call him "Steve" for privacy purposes) told me he'd push me ... that I probably wouldn't like him ... that he'd make me use my bad leg ... that he'd do everything he could to help those nerves start to talk to my brain.

Oh, honey ... you haven't met me !  One thing I can guarantee ... I will do everything you ask, and it will be you telling me that I need to rest for a moment.  Again,  I will be the best darn physio patient you've ever had, and there is no possible way that you can push me harder than I will push myself.

BRING IT ON !! 

As an aside ... this hospital specializes in both in-patient and out-patient rehab ... it's all they do. The hospital I was in for a month was filled with elderly stroke victims, but not this place. I'm not the youngest, and there is every disability you can think of. It was an eye-opener for me, especially walking behind the woman who had lost her right leg at the upper thigh/hip and  was learning to use her new prosthetic.  I don't know her story but she would probably trade me my problems in a heartbeat.  I may not be able bodied, but I have less to complain about than a lot of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment