Saturday 30 March 2013

Brain 1, Legs 0

After I wrote the "well baby visit" post, I published it, then provided the link on Facebook to my limited number of family and friends. Posting the link to FB isn't something I regularly do, but I hadn't written a blog entry in a while so I figured I'd let people know.  I guess people actually do read my status updates (that there are no further comments or "likes" 99% of the time tells you how boring most of my life is, I guess)

From the "well baby visit" post, one comment in particular caught my attention ... "now you need to list the things you CAN do". Well.  There's something I need to think about.  I have fallen into the trap of comparing myself to T-1 presurgery, rather than T+1 post surgery.

In all honesty, I don't remember T+1 very well (or T+45 for that matter), so I spent the evening rereading all 101 entries that I'd written to date (my daughter thought I was waiting up late for her to come home ... ha!.)  Holy snicker-doodles ... I have forgotten so much!  I mean, I understand that people forget, have selective memories, and bad things fade away, .. but holy crap .. YOU FORGET.  I was reading some of the blog entries I wrote, wondering who had written them.  I remember the experience, but my memories of it now are so different.

In retrospect there has been so much I have gained.  So, to counter balance Thursday's doom and gloom of what I'll never get back,  today's thoughts are what I've lost, thought forever gone, but regained.

  • I can walk.  It isn't the sassy swagger that I used to have, but to the casual on-looker, I'm reasonably normal

<insert long, thoughtful pause, lots of writing, editing and eventual deleting>

That's it.

I. Can. Walk.

Those three small words don't really do justice to what has been accomplished. To be able to walk again is so much more overwhelmingly powerful than all of the things I will never do again.

As a side note: It's finally feeling like spring - a nice warm(ish), sunny day, so I hauled my butt off the couch and decided I was going to walk my old 3 mile (5k) warm up loop. My legs were screaming all kinds of weird signals to my brain and they didn't want to go that far, so they are very much NOT IMPRESSED with me right now.  But my brain is very happy.  Brain 1, Legs 0.  I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment