Monday 18 March 2013

Birkenstocks. Finally.

Over the last week or so, I have been chipping away at finding a home in my new basement for my stuff (AKA things that I once deemed important but no longer are, or stuff that I'm convinced I/my child may someday use but likely won't.)  My endurance isn't what it used to be, so I couldn't just blitz it all in one day - it's been more of a "just tackle that corner" process.  In my determination today to just put away one more box of  basement stuff, I found my Birkenstocks (the ones from my cross border adventure last April).  Of course, they weren't in the Birkenstock shoe box that I diligently put with my other shoe boxes, it was in a random box of miscellaneous crap that had clearly been dumped into a storage tub in a last minute effort to get the basement cleared out.

They are pristine.  Never been worn.  Well ... aside from the one time in the hospital when I tried to wear them and I inadvertantly kicked one across the room when my leg went spazzy.  I haven't worn anything that just slips on to my feet since. I lost that ability over night.

In a moment of craziness I thought "I wonder if I can wear these" and I slipped them on.   LOL ... "I slipped them on" .. yeah, that's how it went.  Really I lodged the toe of the sandal against the wall to create the resistance required to wedge my foot in.  I don't "slip" anything on my feet any more - I don't have the fine muscle control to do it.  At any rate ... I got them on and expected to lose one or both of them in the first 35 seconds.

I walked around the room.  I walked to a different room. I continued with the task at hand of putting junk away. I look at the stairs ... now that would be a challenge!  I walked up the stairs, and they stayed on!

Who knew ... ten and a half months later I'd finally wear these sandals and celebrate walking up the stairs wearing them.  They are sending insane sensations to my brain that my brain doesn't know how to interpret.  I'm getting signals that my feet and calves feel tight, tingly, painful-ish, tense and overall weird, but I don't care.

I'm keeping them on, even if I am wearing sports socks with them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment