Friday 14 September 2012

Fifty Shades Faster: Day 4 vs Day 135

The technology of the modern era has given us video ... while sometimes a bad thing (think misbehaviour caught by a friend's cell phone) it can also be a good thing.

I thought I would take a moment and post two videos.  The first one taken on day 4 after my surgery, and it is my first attempt at "walking" with full weight bearing.  Without video, I would never have seen myself, and to be honest, how it felt was not how it looked.


The second video was taken this morning - day 135 after my surgery.  There has been no nerve healing in my right leg, so any progress is due solely to my own stubborn drive and the skill of my physiotherapist(s).  I will be forever grateful for the men (and interestingly, they've all been men) who decided that physiotherapy was the career for them.  They change lives.




It felt like I was running a million miles an hour, but really it was only a 10:45 minute mile (6:40 min km), and only for 1/4 mile (400 meter) intervals.  And Fifty Shades was supporting some of my body weight.  I'm not ready for the world to see the video of me trying to run without support :)

But if there's anyone out there who is thinking of giving up, wondering if the work is worth it, wanting to just hop under the covers and stay there ... it's worth it.  Many, if not most, of the moments suck, no one can see pain, and it feels like there's no progress.  But there is.  134 days ago I would have told you that walking is Herculean enough, no need to dream about running again.  Today ... I'm not so sure.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment