Tuesday 28 August 2012

Work 1, Me 1. I'm Calling it a Draw.

It's 5:30pm, I'm in my jammies on the couch with my feet up, debating whether I want to bother eating anything for dinner or whether my exhaustion will win and I'll end up asleep before 7pm.  I am a fan of eating, so if I'm choosing sleep over food (and let's face it - no way I'm making anything for dinner ... it would be ordered in), then I'm tired.

I may have started my day a wee bit early ... at 5:15am I woke to the realization that I had done nothing to prepare for the day - no lunch made, no clothes organized, no idea where my office keys are.  That's one way to launch yourself out of bed!  With an interesting mix of excitement and nervousness and uncertainty I caught the early train downtown and went to the gym.  Yeah .. I know.  First day back at work and I go to the gym first.

Score 1 for Me.

My coworkers seemed excited to see me, and judging from some of my conversations today, glad to hand my job back to me.  Not sure I want to take all of it back ....  :)  

The day would have been easier had my symptoms not decided to drive me insane.  Sitting became more and more uncomfortable (I missed my couch), and the numbness in my right leg was insane! But I have days like that at home too, so really, no net difference.  Might as well be at work where I am able to use my brain.  And my brain was great ... until mid afternoon when my body caught up to me.

The cool kids at the office invited me along for their Tuesday afternoon cupcake run.  Yahoo!!  I'm all in for cupcakes ... especially when butter cream cheese icing is involved.  But the ladies at the cupcake place .. really ... can you serve people ANY SLOWER?  I don't stand well for extended periods of time, so I crapped out and sat while my cohorts in crime waited in line and bought me a welcome back cupcake.  Which was promptly devoured - it never stood a chance (and is probably why I'm not that interested in dinner right now).

But my afternoon was downhill after that.  By 3:30 I was counting down the minutes and trying desperately hard to ignore the numb-induced-pain sensations in my feet and legs.  Sheer determination got me out the door, down the street (lookout ... cane lady coming through!! Get in my way at your own peril!), and onto the train. 

Score 1 for Work

I get to do this all over again tomorrow, but for now I'm very, very grateful for the people in charge who wouldn't support a full work week. 

Sheesh, imagine the professionals knowing what they're doing.  Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment