Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Crazy Lady Wants to go Back to Work

I'm really not very good with letting other people decide what's best for me.  It just goes against everything I believe about controlling your destiny and owning your life. 

But it seems I'm facing an uphill battle with my decision that it's time to get back to work.

When I tell people I want to return to work in two weeks, I get the same reaction ... a slight pause (while their brain works 10 million miles an hour trying to figure out how to politely say what they want to say), a "hmmmm", another pause, and then "are you sure that's a good idea?".

When I first broached the idea to my point of contact at work, she didn't quite laugh out loud ... but I'm thinking it took all the restraint she had to stifle it.  I got the pause ... the "hmmm". ... and then "well, that's really a decision your doctor needs to make".   Sigh ... that should have been my first clue.

Then I ran the idea by my family.  My S.O. was direct ... he's the only person who can get away with telling me that maybe I don't always know what's best for me :)  Other family members were more polite but the message "it might be a little soon for full time working" was loud and clear.

And then the sisterhood bailed on me.  You know, those loyal girlfriends who support you no matter what.  The ones who take your side with enthusiasm when you love something today, even though they took your side with enthusiasm yesterday when you hated it.  And they don't call you out on your opinion sine wave.  Even the sisterhood gave me the hairy eyeball .... the "hmmmm" ... the "are you sure you're ready for that".

Okay, so why is everyone wrong except me ? !!  I will confess, that is the thought that went through my head. But then my next thought was that "eveyone else is wrong, not me" reminded me of a boss I had once. She was a crazy lady who believed that all her employees were useless but that she was fabulous.

I have to face the possibility that I am the common denominator, that all my friends and family aren't wrong, that maybe my doctors have an objective opinion and that a gradual return to work is the best way to go.

I did a smart thing, took the advice of the professionals, and did a dress rehearsal of going into the office this morning.  I will grudgingly admit that while not "hard", the experience was more tiring than I expected and I was happy to get back to my flannels and the couch this afternoon.

I guess I've surrounded myself with good people.  But it sucks to be wrong :)

No comments:

Post a Comment