Monday 23 July 2012

Recovery at 12 Weeks

It's been a little over 12 weeks ... amazing how time goes so slowly yet still seems to fly by.

My physio guy continues to try to kill me twice a week, and I get myself into the gym another three days a week - mostly to do cardio-type stuff like walking on the treadmill and the elliptical.  When my back muscles went all spazzy I wasn't able to do any core exercises, so hopefully I'll be able to get back to that soon.

So what's the deal at 12 weeks.

Left leg still has the usual issues except I, for sure, have some temperature sensation in the sole of my left foot (but nowhere else).  It's a little more subtle than my right foot - my right foot has better sensitivity to the nuances of temperature, but the left foot seems to be coming along.  There is nothing higher up the leg ... today being a good example of that, having left the car parked in the sun in 31C + temperatures.  I sat down on the (black) seat in shorts and my right leg sure as heck registered HOT, HOT, HOT !!!   Left leg, quite comfortable thank you.

Right leg ... my walking balance went totally wacko for a couple of days last week ... all of a sudden I had issues.  Then I started to pay attention.  I spend most of my life now in bare feet, so I started paying attention to my feet as I was trying to walk.   When a quote-unquote normal person walks, their foot doesn't just strike heel-toe.  There is the heel strike, then a very subtle pronation/roll towards the outside sole of the foot, then the toe strike.  My left foot has always done this, but after I lost proprioception in my right leg, I lost that subtlety.  The best I was able to learn was a BAM-heel ... BAM-toe stike.  But late last week, that subtle pronation/roll returned - which was what was causing my balance issues.  I was so used to compensating for the incorrect foot strike that I had to adjust to the correction.  Now my right foot is doing the heel-pronate/roll-toe and my toes are engaged in the process.  VERY COOL !!   

But again very weird.  Why I would start to get things back in my feet when the nerves were cut in my spine, I have no idea.  Google isn't very helpful and the only person who might have an explanation would be someone well versed in neuroscience.  That would not be me.

So  ... I take what comes, and hope that over time there is healing in the rest of my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment