Friday 13 July 2012

I Guess I'm Getting Stronger

It was re-assessment day at physio,  The goal ...  to answer the question "has there been any progess in the last four/five weeks".

Apparently, I rock!

Well, I'm not perfect, but everything showed improvement.  The strenght testing showed that my right leg is getting closer to the strength of my left leg, balance tests were still challenging, but improved, and my endurance test rocked.

LOL ... ah, how the definition of success has changed for my life.  Take the endurance test.  When I did it four weeks ago, I was able to walk 274 ft (83 meters) in two minutes.   Today I was able to walk 454 ft (138 meters) in two minutes.  That's still a 14 1/2 kilometer (or a 23 minute mile).  I try not to think of it that way because my "old" walking speed was so much faster.  I have to think in terms of a new baseline ... that 10 weeks ago, I couldn't walk at all.

For all that progress, were you to walk behind me (and ignore the canes) you'd think "hmmm, there's something wrong with her right leg".  It's got it's own funky stride ... it works for me for basic mobility, but I strive to retrain it to a more normal flow. With focus and concentration I can do it.  As soon as I stop concentrating it goes back to it's wild-thing routine. 

Balance testing showed some improvement ... I can stand on one foot (my good leg) for 15 seconds, no problem.  Right leg ... well, it's actually pretty hilarious.  With my arms doing the wild windmill thing I can balance on my right foot for about four seconds before I have to grab something or fall over.  This time, though, I was able to stand heel-to-toe for 30 seconds with either foot forward!!  Yay!  When I did this four weeks ago, I couldn't stand with my left heel touching my right toe (left foot in front ... sort of like slalom skiing).

I don't see the progress because I see myself every day, but when tested against a benchmark ... I'm learning.  I don't know how much actual nerve healing has happened, but at least I'm learning to cope with what I've got.

As an aside .... today's workout was about endurance and physio guy had me get on the treadmill for the first time (at physio).  He asked me ... "so, when was the last time you were on a treadmill".  I had to confess .. "um ... yesterday".  Okay, so I'm the queen of too much too soon, but I can't go to a gym and not get on a treadmill and try to do better than the time before.

No comments:

Post a Comment