Saturday 21 April 2012

Scrubs


In one of the many, many conversations I’ve had with my cousin about Herm the Worm, we were discussing  my “Go Bag”.  This isn’t emergency surgery, and  I don’t work for  Agent Hotchner  so I’m not sure I can justify calling it a Go Bag, but it sounds so much more important that way.  

(Sorry, I got distracted and my mind wandered off to thoughts of Criminal Minds … Agent Hotchner is hot.)


 Anyway, we were talking about what I should pack for the hospital.  In the best case scenario, I’m going to be there for 5-10 days, so it’s important!  Well, I suppose it’s not really important.  I could ask someone to bring me what I need the next time they come visit, but thinking about what to pack is a good distraction from thinking about the actual surgery, so that’s my excuse. 


The Go Bag.  What to pack in the Go Bag.  The usual: toothbrush, toothpaste, brush, books, trashy magazines, my Playbook and Blackberry (okay, I’m being optimistic here!).  Those are obvious, but what about “what will I be allowed to wear”?  Dear cousin suggested scrubs … you know, those outfits that medical and pseudo-medical staff wear.  She suggested the style with a button up or zip up top because I won’t be able to lift my arms.  Yeah … I hadn’t really considered that a 12” incision down the middle of my back would cause some grief in being able to put on a shirt. (Can you say DENIAL???) 

Well … give me a cause to Google and I will.  Questions needed to be answered. Where can I buy scrubs? What do they look like?  How much do they cost? What size am I?  (In order: on-line or anywhere near a hospital, same as what you see doctors and nurses wearing on tv, anywhere from $20-$50 a set, medium).  Research duly done, I coerced a friend to go with me to the closest scrub store at lunch.  Helllloooo Mobb!!  (That’s a brand).  Separates, matchy-matchy, every colour you can imagine. Like sweats, but classy, lots of pockets and they make me feel  like I look important! Dr. Sarah, strutting down the hall!  Yeah … my friend slapped me back to reality … “um, I don’t think you’re going to look like you’re just freshly showered and ready for a hard day at work, the IV might give it away”.  Sheesh … rain on my parade.


Regardless, I came out of the store with three sets, one of them is bright pink and none of them are black!  I know it shocks most of you that I would buy something pink … but I thought I’d live on the edge a little. Just this once.


 I’ve been able to wash and dry the scrubs a few times in order to soften them up, and even though I’m “saving them” for post-surgery, I sneak them on when no one is looking and wear them around the house.  One thing is for sure … my entire summer is going to be spent in scrubs.  Getting dressed again for work is going to bite.


Elastic.  Nothing is better than an elastic waist.

No comments:

Post a Comment