Sunday 22 April 2012

Cross Border Shopping and the Birkenstocks

I’m not a shopper. Never really have been.  Not one to research prices, sales, clearances, discount outlets or the like.  If I need something, I buy what I can afford when I need it.  It sometimes means I pay more than if I’d waited for a sale, but I'm really not excited by the shopping experience, so that’s okay. 


So, when my cousin suggested a day of cross border shopping  to stock up on recovery necessities, I thought: hmmm, not sure, okay,  a new adventure.  I’ve never crossed the border just to shop before, never been to the big outlet malls, and it’s been a while since I’ve cruised a mall just for the sake of it. She seemed excited to hunt for bargains, and my daughter - the shopper - was enthusiastic about coming along.  (There’s a “me forgetting my credit card ” story in there too, but that’s for another time.)


We set off early for the long drive, and made our way easily across the border.  The older gentleman customs agent manning the booth could not have been more bored by three women crossing the border to go to a mall.  Mind you, it didn't look like he gets excited by much. He ushered us through with only one question ...  "your car"? ... um d'uh ... I have a Nexus card and I'm sure my plates just poppped up on your computer.  Seriously ... why do they ask questions to which they already know the answer? But, he ushered us through with a swipe of our passports and we were on our way across the border.  A quick hop and a jump (with no speeding  … the last thing I wanted was to be  pulled over for speeding in a foreign country), and we arrived at the mall for opening time.

It reminded me that I really don’t like malls unless I'm in the mood to shop, and looking for something specific.  Were there deals to be found? Absolutely! (ask my cousin about her dress), but malls are malls are malls.  I had been warned, but was unprepared for DSW.  Designer Shoe Warehouse.  We don’t have those here.  I suppose something similar, but not as big and not as many good deals.  Have you met a woman that doesn’t like to shop for shoes?  What stiletto doesn’t make a woman feel sexy?  I may not be a fan of the shopping, but I do love my shoes.  The three of us looked at each other ... and scattered all over the store.  I headed for the clearance at the back ... not sure what happened to the others :)


Right.  No stilettos in my immediate future. The sexy, pointy toed (and one rounded toe pair newly added to the collection), 3-4” stilettos will be packed away until the day I can wear them again. Stop looking at the heels.  Stop.  Don't even pick them up, let alone try them on.  Sigh ... the last pair of shoes I tried on were a $900 pair of Ferragamo sandals.  Granted,  I was dreaming with the $900 sandals ... I would never spend that much for some straps of blue leather and sparkly gold heels.  But they were fun to try on.  

Focus. Flats.  Flats suitable for hospital wear. Flats that slip on. Flats that offer support and are sturdy. Flats that are durable. Flats that can be worn either barefoot or with socks (if I ABSOLUTELY have to).  That’s what I need.


There is only one brand that fits the bill.

You got it.

From Blahniks to Birkenstocks.
Thanks Herm.



No comments:

Post a Comment