Wednesday 30 January 2013

Like I Haven't Taken on Enough?

I had to stop and wonder ... what on earth am I doing.

At the end of the day ("end of the day" being post-work, dinner and kitchen cleaned up), I need half an hour off my feet before I can handle anything else.  It's not so much exhaustion as it is body ache. My muscles are still working overtime to do what other people don't think about.

So, tonight I flopped on the couch and gave myself a deadline of 8pm ... then, no more flopping, there are things to be done and I'm tired of spending most evenings on the couch. I've become a boring old person who has nothing to talk about except kids and work.  Ugh.  (At least I'm not talking about all my ailments to anyone who will listen yet.)

Deadline arrived ... on to the task at hand. I had disassembled a storage shelving unit so I could move it upstairs, and I wanted to get it reassembled tonight. In my dining room. The logical person might query:  "Why would you put a utility shelving unit in your dining room?"

Because I'm crazy.

I got about halfway through the reassembly before I stopped and wondered what the heck I was doing.

A month or so ago, I decided that NOW would be an excellent point in my life to have the basement renovated. You know, now that I'm full of vim, vigour and exuberance to tackle extra things.  Right. It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Let's take my post-surgery life and combine it with a) back to work full time, b) winter, c) icy winter, d) trying to get back to the gym e) winter  f) moving everything out of the basement  and g) way too many trips up and down stairs to move stuff out of the basement.

It's amazing how much crap you collect, and it's surprisingly difficult to pack all that crap when you can't squat down or sit on the floor very well, or when you only have the energy to do an hour at a time. No more all-day-blitzes for me.

I'm thinking this wouldn't have been such a monumental task last year.
I'm thinking I would have done more of it myself last year. 
I'm thinking I like having strong teenagers who know that mom would do it, but can't. 
I'm thinking I'm getting better at asking for help.
I'm thinking maybe I'm being forced to create less work for myself now than I would have before.
I'm thinking that allowing other people to help will make this easier for me than it would have been last year.

I'm thinking ... maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment