Tuesday 4 December 2012

Shot Up and Shoved in a Tube

MRI is such a fancy acronymn ... really it should be called a STPROS .. A "St. Pros".   Screaming Toilet Paper Roll on Steriods. 

Friday was my six month follow up MRI.  Well ... it was supposed to be at six months, but maybe I kinda ignored the letter in the mail from the hospital thinking it was a donation request and missed my original appointment.  Yup, hospital was super-pleased with me about that. They got their revenge by rescheduling me for 8:30am on a Friday morning ... not so bad, except that I live an hour away from this particular hospital.

I arrive, duly contrite, with all required documentation filled out properly and am actually ushered in ON TIME !  Wow .. didn't know that happened. 

Now, I've had these before.  Several.  But this was different. 

Technician "we're doing your back?"
Me "yup"
Technician "wearing any jewellery?"
Me "nope"
Technician "wearning anything metal?"
Me "nope" (no bra, decked in full sweats and no shower - I was a prize)
Technician "Okay then, let's go"

No gown? clothes on? shoes on?  AWESOME! It was like going through airport security somewhere other than the US.  Shoes stayed on, laptop in the bag, liquids are allowed.

The MRI itself was easy-breezy.  I have zero claustrophobia issues and was comfortable ... if anything mostly bored.  A few "pictures", then the gadolinium experience.  I get the nausea.  Not a common side effect but you'll find it buried in the fine print if you research gadolinium side effects.  Inject chemical, wait for it ... wait for it ... wait for it ... there it is !!!  Wave of nausea rolls through me and just as I think I'm going to hurl my cookies on the technician, it passes, and back I go into the Screaming Toilet Paper Roll on Steroids.

Round two .. slightly different and I'm sure, had the technician peeked through the window, he would have thought I was loony.  The MRI starts up, screams into my ear and I start laughing.

The sound is the exact music to Dragonette's Hello ... and I can't stop singing it in my head as the MRI goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment